Friday, March 23, 2012

Dreamtending

Ok. I admit it. 

I like to turn the music way up and pretend I'm the one on stage. I'm sure my voice is just as good as I think it is, too! (Don't worry. I don't think more highly than I ought in this case.)Since my husband has worked from home fulltime since August, I haven't been "on stage" in quite awhile.  This morning, however, was a different story (until he walked in without me hearing his arrival. Will I ever be comfortable with knowing that he, or anyone else I know, might hear me? Anyway...)  I chose Martina McBride's album Wake Up Laughing.

 
In the song “A House of a Thousand Dreams," a man sees mostly what he is not able to do (because work is scarce) to provide as he sees fit for his family. "But there's cracks in all the walls and all the windows. And the flies, they find their way in through the screen.”  His wife knows he is giving it his all.  He does not disappoint her as he thinks, so she does what she can to make him and the children happy. They both "pray hope will keep on living in this house of a thousand dreams.”

 
Their son says “My Daddy’s a strong man. My Momma, she loves him and they love my brother and sister and me.” He loves hearing the crickets sing outside the windows, feeling the breeze through the screen and hopes that they "can live forever in this house of a thousand dreams." 
As I sang along with this song this morning, I was struck with the reality that I also live in a house of a thousand dreams.  And I am its Dreamtender. Some dreams are coming true even today. Others may be years in the making. The song “Anyway” on the same album encourages us to dream even though the dream may seem impossible, build even though it may all be blown away, love even though you may be rejected by the person you love, and pray even though it might not turn out the way you think it should – do it all anyway because God is great even when life isn’t.  In essence, keep hope alive.
As Dreamtender for our home, my hope is in Christ. He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. (Ephesians 3:20) In Him, there is assurance that God works all things together for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28) That He has plans (dreams, if you will) for each and every one of us. Plans to give us hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) And, that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength. (Philippians 4:13) I need to strive to do all I can in His strength (not my own) to nurture (not hinder) the dreams and plans He has for each individual in our family and for our family as a whole.  Dreams and plans He plants in our hearts to be tended well within His perfect design and timing. Dreams and plans that fill our hearts and lives with faith, hope and love.
Last September, I attended the memorial service of a dear friend, Melody, who I wish I had known even better than I did. She was a joy to be around in my years at Wilshire Baptist Church and at Camp Arrowhead retreats.  One of her sons stated, “Our home is full of projects half done – our hearts are not.”  I have been blessed and encouraged by his words every time I am reminded of her or them.  I hold them dear as a great inspiration to dream of and strive for a strong, loving and impactful home where my family's hearts are not left undone, without hope or alone. I guess I just pray that faith, hope and love will go on living in our own house of a thousand dreams.


1 comment:

  1. “Our home is full of projects half done – our hearts are not.” Thank you for sharing that with me!!!

    ReplyDelete